To say 2013 has been a rollercoaster of a year is an understatement. In my 30 years, I think this one ranks as the most difficult year of my life. It has tested me and hurt me, pulled me apart and hung me out to dry…BUT it has also taught me so much I needed to learn. So here goes my list:
1. Gratitude – My gosh has this year taught me gratitude. For everything I have but more importantly for EVERYONE I have. I am truly blessed with a great family and amazing friends. Without whom I wouldn’t have gotten through this year. You guys know exactly who you are, thank you!! Thank you for putting a smile on my face 🙂
2. Patience – All those mama’s out there will know, the transition from baby to toddler tests your patience beyond belief. That little dependent child who looks to you for their every need suddenly has their own desires and wants and boy do they want to exert their new found independence.
3. Strength – As the famous song lyrics go: I get knocked down, but I get up again, ’cause you never gonna keep me down.” 2013 has shown me my inner strength, my strength as a woman and my strength as a mother.
4. Love – No matter what life throws at you, we all have the capacity to love. My dad is a fan of Neale Donald Walsh and we used to have many of his sayings framed going up our staircase at home. One of them that stood out the most at the base of the stairs was “What would love do now?” and that’s a question I’ve asked myself many times this year. When faced with a situation that you don’t like or one that angers or upsets you, ask yourself “What would love do now?” And then react. Love is our greatest capacity.
5. Forgiveness – During our lives there will be people who love us, comfort us and treasure us. But there will also be people who hurt us, upset us and anger us. One of the greatest things we can do to those people (for our self) is to forgive them. Because when you forgive, you let go and stop holding on to all those negative emotions (which essentially only hurt you).
This year I’m not making any resolutions but I am going to do one thing and that is this:
I’m also going to be taking part in 52/52, a portrait a week in 2014. So look out for some really cute pictures 😉
From my family to yours, wishing you an amazing start to the new year. May all your dreams be realised and all your wishes come true.